His Presence- Old Entry

Saturday, January 18, 2014


I beg my mind to grasp the present moment through the fog of my sleep.  Another knock at my door and I’m fully awake. This must mean labor.  I descend the stairs of my apartment to find a young girl, abdomen swollen with new life, scarred and unsure of the journey ahead of her.  I unlock the door to the maternity center and flip on a light.  A contraction grips her swollen belly and she cries in fear.  Birth is painful, but fear and loneliness bring far more pain than womb contracting and life emerging.  As I talk her through everything that’s happening, reminding her to take in oxygen, to relax her body as she labors, I begin to see fear fade and companionship accepted.  I am midwife-  meaning ‘with woman.’  She is woman becoming mother in a place where fear and loneliness are pushed out by peace, by love, by presence.

I’m reminded that so many years ago, a young woman became mother. She pushed and into the world came the Prince of Peace who would show a hurting and fearful human race love like we’d never known before.  He came and fear and loneliness are pushed out by His presence.  Jesus, we celebrate Your birth, Your love, Your peace. Emmanuel, we welcome You this Christmas season. We love Your presence with us.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground